Last visit to Pea Pod before campaign

General in character posts
Erik

Last visit to Pea Pod before campaign

Post by Erik »

It was a fine spring day so Jorl had put some flower pots on the window ledges of the Pea Pod. He was watering the plants, which had been carefully stored under glass at the rear of the tavern during the cold, wet winter months, when he was greeted by a customer.
"Gods blessing on you" said Erik. "I am sorry I have not been able to visit often recently, but the preparations for campaign have taken most of my time and temple duties and sorting out my new home have taken the rest".
"I heard of your gift from the Queen" said the landlord as the two moved inside. For once the fire was not lit, but wood was piled up ready to be burned once the temperature fell as evening came on. "What is it like?"
"Wonderful." came the reply "although a bit large for my needs at the moment. It stands a few miles out of Boldhome, a beautiful small mansion with wooded grounds, a small formal garden and a trout stream running through the estate and supplying a moat. Would you believe it needs a staff of 10 servants to run properly? Which reminds me, if you know of any who wish employment please tell them to contact me or Yealla - thank Orlanth that she will be able to keep an eye on the place whilst I am on campaign. Now a flagon of light spring ale please whilst I wait to see if any of my friends have time to drop in for a last drink before we have to depart for the front."
Quatlu

Re: Last visit to Pea Pod before campaign

Post by Quatlu »

Having arrived at the entry to the Pea Pod, Quatlu enters and greets Jorl, then spies Erik at their regular table. "Greeting, oh favored one of the Queen", he says with a grin. He walks over and greets his friend with a firm hand shake and a slap on the back. "You were born under a lucky star, Erik", he says as he takes a seat and tells Jorl, "I'll have what Erik is having, and refresh his drink if you would be so kind." The Ten Thane sits down in the chair slowly, trying not to strain his wounds. "I'm sorry I had to miss your encounter with the Queen, Erik", he says, "but that noble woman with a grudge against successful commoners damned near killed me. I'm glad you were successful in your duel against her. I regret that I was not there to applaud the honor done to you. My biggest regret in all this is that I now have to face the enemies of our King in a much reduced state of health."

Quatlu thanked Jorl when the proprietor brought their drinks, and he took a long swig before continuing their discussion. "I see that we both have a chance to move up in the Temple hierarchy again this month. I wish you Orlanth's favor in your quest to rise in temple rank", he said with a cup raised for a toast. "By the way, I got a note from Broar offering to heal me for an unspecified amount, in spite of his grave illness that has left him bed bound in the Chalana Arroy hospital and unable to serve his regiment on campaign. If he is successful in resurrecting the late and honorable Ondureen, I will be pleasantly surprised. She was a good officer and didn't deserve the death she suffered." Once again he raised his cup and offered a toast, "To Ondureen."
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Royal Foot Guards Regiment
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Aide to a member of the City Ring
Colymar Tribe
Erik

Post by Erik »

Erik echoed the toast. "To Ondureen, a good friend, loyal follower of Orlanth and a brave officer. She will be missed!" Draining his glass he continued "I also will be surprised if Broar revives her. You know he is lying about needing costs up front? Of course you know - it is Broar after all! All that is required is for a follower of the Blessed Lady of initiate rank or higher to pray for her intercession. However I will happily pay him the 60L I have promised - after I see Ondureen alive and well. If you give him money beforehand you will never see it nor Ondureen again! Likewise, if you accept his offer of healing, ensure you pay on results, not in advance."
"You have my commiserations on your wounds against Ivarenna, but well done on a duel well fought. On another day you might well have bested her. I hold no grudge against her for her challenge, she desired to defend her honour, as she sees it, and was willing to fight me even though she carried a wound. I raise a glass to her and drink to her - and your - swift recoveries. I feel she will make a good comrade in time to come,"
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

Quatlu listened to Erik about Broar, Ondureen and the noble who had challenged Erik and Quatlu to a duel at the Queen's event at Court. "Verily, you speak words of wisdom, good Erik, and I can no longer brook ill will towards the young noble for her action." He joins Erik in the toast to the duelists.

He continues on the alternate subject of Erik's discourse, saying, "On the matter of Broar, well, if he can truly raise Ondureen from the dead while he's is lying ill in a hospital bed, then surely he could offer honorable assistance to his regiment at the Front, where the need is greatest."
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Colymar Tribe
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus strode into the Pea Pod and ordered two pints of ale with a brandy chaser, before heading over to his fellow officers who were discussing the coming campaign and other matters.

He swiftly drained one pint, then downed the brandy, before slowing down and sipping his second pint.

"By Orlanth", Quatlu exclaimed, "you seem in a hurry with your drinking - surely the prospect of the front is not causing you a concern." Quatlu smiled as he said it, for lack of courage was not a matter of concern for these officers.

Rufus replied "You are right, the front is where my duty lies and to be frank, currently, I would prefer to be there than here. There, it is more straightforward and unpleasantness to fellow officers is avoided. Did I hear you mention the name of Broar Hofarson?" The others assented that they had discussed him. "Well," continued Rufus, "I have decided to take him at his word" (Rufus duly noted the raised eyebrows) "and I have decided to meet the balance of the amount claimed by Broar (after others' contributions) to return life back to the fallen hero Ondureen. He has asked for 250 lunars - a very significant cost - but to bring back a notable warrior to the ranks of the forces of Boldhome is something I deem worthy of such expenditure. Fortunately, the amount is payable only when Ondureen Eorlsdaughter is confirmed revivified. I must state that such an act by Broar Hofarson would be most impressive - perhaps it would be evidence that he is in some way divinely inspired. However, I note your scepticism and it may just be a sham, disguising ulterior motives and, Erik, your suggestion that he is a coward may prove to be justified. It is a case of actions not words as far as this Broar is concerned." Rufus took another sip of his ale before addressing Erik, "I was shocked, appalled even, when I hear that this Broar had resigned as regimental healer - and that, despite being in the Chalana Arroy cult, he had reported that he was seriously ill. It will be interesting to see if he goes around to ceremonies etc despite being bedridden. But I will judge him on his actions - and I must ask you Erik, fine fellow that you are, to issue an apology to Broar Hofarson and retract your accusation of cowardice - subject, of course, to Broar Hofarson actually delivering on his promise to restore Ondureen Eorlsdaughter to this mortal realm. Should he not do this deed, then I for one, would consider your accusation to have merit"

Rufus continued "Erik, you have brought to my attention that we are expecting a number of applicants to the regiment. I agree with you that any with the necessary social standing to meet the requirements of our elite Company should be admitted and I have given orders to that effect. I hope that we can recruit another healer - it will boost morale and our effectiveness. I have promised to meet to meet the rank purchase costs of a applicant to the position of regimental healer and I have heard you have made a generous offer to boost pay they would receive - a fine gesture indeed. At some point, I will have to appoint a regimental adjutant. I am waiting to see if there any suitable applicants"
Baron Rufus Bronzer
Clansman of the proud Kheldon Tribe -This small but very wealthy urban clan is the "most noble" clan of Sartar - but the wealth seems to have passed me by.
Warlord Mularik's Company Orlanth Initiate
Chieftain's son.
Ondurga

Post by Ondurga »

Jarrek ambled into the Pea Pod shortly after Rufus and, after quickly checking his comrades' drinks, ordered for himself and any who needed a refill.

"Well met, all," he greeted them. "We're all off to the front, then? My first time, and I must admit to some nerves. I have courage enough and have never shied away from a fight or any task that needed doing, but I've never lead others into a fight before and that's where my nerves are tingling. Still, Orlanth will lead me right, I'm sure enough of that. I sort of just want to get on with it now, though."
Ondurga Yorisdaughter of the Bachad
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Greetings Jarrek fellow clansman of the Kheldon tribe, you say quite rightly
Jarrek wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:25 pm "We're all off to the front and Orlanth will lead us all right, I'm sure enough of that.
I believe you are in Golgotti's company. It is a fine regiment but if you wanted to join Mularik's company then you would be welcome. I would ensure that your application was successful.
Baron Rufus Bronzer
Clansman of the proud Kheldon Tribe -This small but very wealthy urban clan is the "most noble" clan of Sartar - but the wealth seems to have passed me by.
Warlord Mularik's Company Orlanth Initiate
Chieftain's son.
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

Quatlu was delighted to see Jarrek enter the tavern, and welcomed him to the table. As his friends spoke of honor and duty, he felt proud to be among this assembled group of officers. He and Jarrek were both about to get their introduction to battle, and though the recent duel had cost him most of his Endurance, he knew that this would not hold him back from his duty to his King. It was time to "see the elephant" and taste of the glory of battle with his regiment.

"Mularik's Company is the finest magic regiment in the army, Jarrek, so if you're skills run more to magic than battle, then you can't go wrong in their ranks. Most of the officer corps worships with fellow stalwarts in the Great Temple of Orlanth, and we have a history of working together and helping each other. But if you seek a regular cavalry berth, then the Colymar Cavalry would serve your interests well." He took a drink and then added, "As to being unsure in battle, I have found that an officer's best advice and support comes from his veteran Sergeants, as they know the ropes and how to guide new officers to keep them from making mistakes. You just need to listen to them. It's what I plan to do, and I feel confident with them standing behind me."
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Colymar Tribe
Ondurga

Post by Ondurga »

Jarrek addressed Quatlu first. "Very good advice, my friend, those veteran sergeants have seen everything before twice over and they'll be sure to keep me in line!"

He turned to Rufus. "My lord, it would be a huge honour to serve under your command and join Mularik's Company. I imagine I'd have to learn how to use a spear effectively, when I've only just started to get halfway decent with a battle axe, but that is a very small price to pay. However, I think it's too late before we need to leave to sort out the paperwork and leave Goldgotti's Company honourably. I shall make my application when we return from the front." [OOC: edited to reflect that it's too late.]

"Connected to Mularik's Company, my lord, can I ask if the, um, inimitable Broar Hofarson still the regimental healer? I heard rumour, just on my way here, that he intends to depart the city on a hero quest. Is there truth behind this, or just speculative gossip? I confess it's often hard to tell one from t'other when Broar's name is mentioned."
Ondurga Yorisdaughter of the Bachad
Erik

Post by Erik »

"Sadly, Jarrek, you are correct. The honourable thing is to see out this campaign season with Goldgotti's company, a fine unit I am sure. We look forward to welcoming you on your return to Boldhome, laden with honours and glory!"
Erik called for a fresh round of drinks. "As to your query about the Regimental healer, I am not sure. I am not aware of any paperwork offering a resignation has arrived at the Regimental Adjutant's desk so I believe he is still officially in post. I understand that since his "Mysterious Illness" has apparently cleared up he has declared that he is going on a Heroquest. Well that's just another lie of his, Heroquests are a matter for Sacred Time as everyone knows. I suspect that Broar's creditors are about to demand repayment of his loans, so he has dreamed up this alter ego of Brear Hofarson. If I might make a suggestion, a file of Mularik's Company warriors should be sent to Broar's lodgings and load him on to the regimental wagons when we set out for the front, in chains or not, it is his choice. Of course, if he goes into hiding there is always the option of a trial for cowardice. I suspect it would be the easiest verdict the judges will ever have had to decide on!."