A letter home

General in character posts
grumbold99

A letter home

Post by grumbold99 »

Dearest mother

Thank you so much for your festive package. I have learned the lessons you gave on the thriftiness required of a successful trader well, so I take the gift of clearance items from our family stall in the spirit that it is intended. I won't forget! Really, the frayed stitching on the thong of the sandals is hardly noticable, and nobody would know I was wearing underpants of such an unfashionable style or ill-judged puce colour. Yes, I am bathing regularly. No, I've not yet run out of beard-oil as I am still awaiting sufficient density of growth for it to have the intended impact upon my appearance rather than the look of one who has eaten a greasy lunch and forgotten to wipe his chin.

I am thinking of you most earnestly at this sacred time of the year and send my regret that I cannot visit home as my duties here in Boldhome keep me occupied. There are many services at the temples and I am honoured to be the second candlestick bearer and third cupholder in many ceremonies in the Grand Temple of Issaries. Of course you would know this, as it is again on your advice that I have taken the opportunity to pass a few words with the High Priest as the opportunity arises. I'm sure this will pay off and I will be able to write to inform you of my elevation from initiate soon. Thank you for reminding me that Brunhilde managed it in five months and I have been here eight already, but I'm doing my best without such natural advantages as the gods blessed her with, or the same level of stipend. Of course I do not begrudge that, it just means that it has taken a little longer without the charms or funds to smooth the path to success.

Speaking of success, my little shop is bound to be flourishing any month now. As soon as I opened the successful trader Erinestra popped by to welcome me to the world of commerce and did me the kindness of purchasing three cubits of the finest silk cloth in pure white. I could only admire her commercial good sense when I later saw the same silk cut to shape and with a little elegant embroidery on the hem selling well in her shop at three times the price. A few others have stopped by and browsed the wares, and I think I have my first regular customer. Ondureen Eoarlsdaughter has patronised Silks and Sapphires both months and been kind enough to make purchases each time. Just as well, because the only other knock on my door was the landlord demanding the rent, which I would have been hard pressed to supply otherwise.

Of course the lack of customers is a blessing really. It has allowed me many hours to sweep the floor spotless and rearrange the stock so that it catches the light perfectly no matter what time of day a passerby might chance to open my door and step in. In any idle moments I can admire the sights and smells of the marketplace, greatly enriched by the waft of tantalising cooking smells emanating from the curious foodstuffs sold by Johannes. When the breeze began flowing from that direction I rapidly learned that I have to be quick to shut the shop door lest the clothing on display become quite invested with those odours for days afterwards. What is fragrant to the nostrils as it arises from the hot food on your plate isn't quite so appealing when embedded in the fine new Sacred Time toga you are considering purchasing.

Blessings of this Holy time upon you and father. Pass on my fondest regards to Brunhilde, Leif, Fargas and Clodwin. Give Smoggins' tummy a rub from me.

Your loving son
Grumbold
Grumbold Rahlefson of the Locaem

Scrawny tow-headed beanpole of a lad; usually complaining about the cold, the damp, the pollen or the heat.
Proprietor of Silks and Sapphires. Conspicuously buy your apparel here!
Lt Col of the Royal Foot Guard.