Merchant shops

An OOC part of the forum. IC posts will be deleted.
Puckohue
GM

Merchant shops

Post by Puckohue »

This is what I'm considering now. I'd appreciate comments.

---

The shop level min and max CHA determines who can open a shop of a certain level. If you own a shop, you can keep it even if your CHA gets lower or higher than the listed number. However, a character with CHA above the max for the shop level with lose CPs equal to the difference each turn.

Merchants can announce limits on who is welcome to patron their shop. Various stats (CHA, I assume) and memberships (cults, tribes, guild, regiments, etc) can be referenced, but not actions. After the announcement is made it is a standing order that will be listed in the shop list until changed by a new announcement.

Allowed: "No CHA 3-, no Colymar tribe, no Storm Bull cultists, not the followingcharacters: Argrath, Elusu".
Not allowed: "Anyone who came to my party/was at the front/posted something on the forum/consumes conspicuously" etc.

---

Remember that a high CHA character will lose SP if a sufficiently low CHA character toadies to them.
Fionn

Re: Merchant shops

Post by Fionn »

I think this is a very good way to avoid the problem of everyone in the game patronising the highest-CHA establishment. I wonder if (some time in the future) there could be horse-dealers, who benefit from the money spent on horses and grooms instead of (or as well as) ordinary living expenses.

But I look forward to seeing Erinestra's weapons store excluding Chalana Arroy, and a tasteful boutique excluding Warrior cultists so their customers can shop without being challenged ;)
Fionn the dagger, soldier (leader Free Philosophers) and scholar (Loremaster).
Afur

Post by Afur »

Is it legal to quote names in the ban/allow list?

I ask because someone should ;)

Otherwise looks good to me as a non-merchant. though who knows, one day...
Afur Brekalisson
First son of a Thane of the Colymar tribe
Warlord of the Colymar Cavalry
Assistant Rune-Lord of Ernalda, the Earth Mother
Initiate, Cult of Orlanth
Charisma: 14
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

If I read this correctly (my comments in CAPS for easier reading):
- To open a shop, a character's CHA has to lie within the max and min = OKAY
- Characters won't be forced to sell their shop if CHA goes outside the max and min = YAY! THANK YOU
- No change to 1/3 SALE PRICE? = A 66% LOSS IS HARSH AND UNREALISTIC FOR AN ESTABLISHED, PRESUMABLY SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS. WHAT ABOUT A SIMPLE D6 DICE ROLL WHERE 1 = 25% LOSS AND 6 = 25% GAIN?
- If CHA exceeds the max permitted, character loses CPs equal to the difference = WHY? IS THIS TO ENCOURAGE SHOP UPGRADES? IF SO, THEN THE SALE PROCEEDS NEED TO CHANGE, OTHERWISE IT'S A DISINCENTIVE TO INCREASE YOUR CHA (WHICH I THINK IS THE MAIN POINT FO THE GAME!)
- Merchants can limit who they'll let in = OKAY. WILL INSTALL A RED ROPE AND SURLY DOORMAN!

Otherwise, all good!
Johannes Arasikson
Issaries
Charisma 5
Ivarenna

Post by Ivarenna »

sounds good to me!
Baroness Ivarenna Hainasdaughter of the Balmyr
Aide to Goldgotti the City Treasurer
Assistant Rune Lord of Orlanth
Hundred-thane, Third Battalion, Mularik's Company
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Afur wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:53 pm Is it legal to quote names in the ban/allow list?
Yes, I'll add that in the first post.
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Johannes wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:39 am - No change to 1/3 SALE PRICE? = A 66% LOSS IS HARSH AND UNREALISTIC FOR AN ESTABLISHED, PRESUMABLY SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS. WHAT ABOUT A SIMPLE D6 DICE ROLL WHERE 1 = 25% LOSS AND 6 = 25% GAIN?
According to my observations it is not that harsh. You also have the option to sell the shop to another player character at any agreed upon price.
Johannes wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:39 am - If CHA exceeds the max permitted, character loses CPs equal to the difference = WHY? IS THIS TO ENCOURAGE SHOP UPGRADES? IF SO, THEN THE SALE PROCEEDS NEED TO CHANGE, OTHERWISE IT'S A DISINCENTIVE TO INCREASE YOUR CHA (WHICH I THINK IS THE MAIN POINT FO THE GAME!)
Ingame it's because tending to a marketstand would be unsuitable for a high level CHA character. And yes, it's to encourage shop upgrades. And I haven't seen any reason to change the sale proceeds. The examples you've presented have not matched what I've seen ingame.

I agree that the main point of the game is to increase your CHA. There are however different ways to do so. Aiming to increase your CHA every turn is not always the best path. And even if it is, it's not the only path.

As far as I can tell, running a shop with the current rules can be very profitable, if done right. It's an added option to the main game. I'm not interested in creating an easy way to become rich and gain CHA while avoiding the risks at the front, turning half or more of all characters into merchants. If it turns out the income rules are broken, I'll definately try to fix it, but I can't see that they are at the moment.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Logged in to disagree with Johannes' comments, but I see that Puckohoe has made most of my points already. Just one thing; perhaps a stallkeeper should be able to sell to another player if they can reach agreement? This is already in place for houses, so would not be much of a change.
Fionn the dagger, soldier (leader Free Philosophers) and scholar (Loremaster).
grumbold99

Post by grumbold99 »

I'm definitely keen to open a shop when military duties permit. Needing to own a shop for a little while to recoup the purchase cost does not seem too unreasonable. In the military you have to buy and maintain horses to advance rank with no certain guarantee of making any money and much higher risk in military activities.

Losing CP if you choose to hold on to a smaller shop while you try to make a profit seems entirely reasonable, much fairer than the enforced sale.
Grumbold Rahlefson of the Locaem

Scrawny tow-headed beanpole of a lad; usually complaining about the cold, the damp, the pollen or the heat.
Proprietor of Silks and Sapphires. Conspicuously buy your apparel here!
Lt Col of the Royal Foot Guard.
Torben

Post by Torben »

grumbold99 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:47 pm I'm definitely keen to open a shop when military duties permit. Needing to own a shop for a little while to recoup the purchase cost does not seem too unreasonable. In the military you have to buy and maintain horses to advance rank with no certain guarantee of making any money and much higher risk in military activities.

Losing CP if you choose to hold on to a smaller shop while you try to make a profit seems entirely reasonable, much fairer than the enforced sale.
Dear Grumbold,

Admirable thoughts and don't forget I am open to offering some sound advice on trading opportunities to those who ask. Any fees incurred will be recouped within a mere 2-3 months!
Torben Dungshuvler
An unfortunate pawn in the hands of the Gods
💩