Ability Training

An OOC part of the forum. IC posts will be deleted.
Lavi

Ability Training

Post by Lavi »

Apart from sacrificing Expertise to Strength are there anyways of training or increasing STR, CON and Power?
Lavi Sharpspear of the Locaem tribe.
Looking for options.
Lay member of Lhankor Mhy.
Charisma 4.
Puckohue
GM

Re: Ability Training

Post by Puckohue »

Lavi wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:36 pm Apart from sacrificing Expertise to Strength are there anyways of training or increasing STR, CON and Power?
Power can be increased by cult studies (see rules on cults).

Many En Garde! games have rules for training STR and/or CON. I'll look into that.
Lavi

Post by Lavi »

I've got some of the other EnGarde game house rules. Shout if you need them.
Looking for options.
Charisma 4.
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Lavi wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:34 pm I've got some of the other EnGarde game house rules. Shout if you need them.
Maybe you could see if you find something useful in them and post here for discussion?
Lavi

Post by Lavi »

The system I use in my EnGarde game and my previous games is taken from the long since ended Orleans EnGarde.

It requires four (not necessarily consecutive) weeks to increase your Strength or Constitution by 1, which is carried out at the PC's residence.
Each week of practice costs the character’s current level in Crowns.
Endurance will increase in line with a character’s Strength or Constitution. STR or CON cannot be increased in excess of 15.

In Dune EnGarde :-
It takes 1 week to train 0.5 points of STR or CON, with no resultant weapon expertise loss. There is no associated
cost with this activity.
A character may increase their original ability score by a maximum of 7.
Only one point of STR or CON can be gained in a given month.

In Sword and Crown :-
A character may increase his strength or constitution by spending time at the regimental training yard working out.
For every two (2) weeks spent training in the SAME month, a character will have +0.25 added to his strength or constitution. A character my never increase his strength or constitution beyond fifteen (15) in this manner.
The weekly cost is 3 X Current Attribute in crowns.
Characters can convert expertise into strength or constitution at the rate of 4 points of Expertise in any one weapon for 1 point of Strength or Constitution. The Character MAY NOT go below their base expertise however.

In Realm of Silver :-
Strength or Constitution: it takes 10 weeks to raise your stat by 1. The cost is SL+current stat per week (for special diets, etc).

In The Paris Chronicle:-
Strength training is a one week action and adds .5 to STR. This may only be done once per month and may not increase STR beyond 16. Additionally, STR may only be increased a total of 3 in this manner.
Looking for options.
Charisma 4.
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Then I suggest the following:
A character can increase their Strength or Constitution by training at their residence.
Every two weeks of practice in the same turn costs six times the character’s current level in Lunars, and raises Strength or Constitution by 0,25.
STR or CON cannot be increased in excess of 15 this way.
How does that sound?
Lavi

Post by Lavi »

Personally I feel that's too expensive.
Looking for options.
Charisma 4.
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Lavi wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:53 pm Personally I feel that's too expensive.
It did sound expensinve yes, but it's what Sword & Crown uses, which is why I suggested it.

I have a gut feeling it should be more expensive to train STR or CON than EXP, but I don't really know why.

If my gut feeling is wrong we can go with

1 week = 0,25 STR or CON, at a cost = current lvl.
grumbold99

Post by grumbold99 »

Puckohue wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:57 pm
Lavi wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:53 pm Personally I feel that's too expensive.
It did sound expensinve yes, but it's what Sword & Crown uses, which is why I suggested it.

I have a gut feeling it should be more expensive to train STR or CON than EXP, but I don't really know why.

If my gut feeling is wrong we can go with

1 week = 0,25 STR or CON, at a cost = current lvl.
I'd be happier with a simple system of a cost per week, rather than per two weeks in a single month, as there are a lot of different requirements to pack into a small number of weeks when at Boldhome, particularly for those climbing the priesthood or running shops.

Split the difference on cost?

1 week = 0,25 STR or CON, at a cost = 2x current lvl.
Grumbold Rahlefson of the Locaem

Scrawny tow-headed beanpole of a lad; usually complaining about the cold, the damp, the pollen or the heat.
Proprietor of Silks and Sapphires. Conspicuously buy your apparel here!
Lt Col of the Royal Foot Guard.