Rule Suggestion: Divine Intervention

An OOC part of the forum. IC posts will be deleted.
Puckohue
GM

Rule Suggestion: Divine Intervention

Post by Puckohue »

Please have a look at this rule suggestion for divine intervention: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TpA ... sp=sharing
Erik

Re: Rule Suggestion: Divine Intervention

Post by Erik »

Looks fun. It will add colour to the game, and more incentive to rise up the cult ranks. Perhaps there could be a mechanism for 2 or more players asking the god for the same thing.
Last edited by Erik on Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erinestra

Post by Erinestra »

Puckohue wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:52 pm Please have a look at this rule suggestion for divine intervention: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TpA ... sp=sharing
Looks good. I wonder if there should be a generic "anything within your god's sphere of influence" but that may be too broad.
Erinestra Harvanasdaughter
Third daughter of a Free Carl of the Locaem tribe
Assistant Rune Lord of Issaries
Lay member of Eurmal
Owner of Erinestra's Emporium Extraordinaire
Charisma: 12
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Erik wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:17 pm Perhaps there could be a mechanism for 2 or more players asking the god for the same thing.
I don't think so, based on the inspiration (RQ). But there will be such mechanisms in the upcoming heroquesting rules.
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Erinestra wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:17 pm ...a generic "anything within your god's sphere of influence" but that may be too broad.
Yes, we need to make it as "mechanical" as possible, otherwise I will have to make subjective judgement calls, and I hate making those.

I've tried to make the cult specific use cases reflect the deities' spheres of influence, and I'm open for suggestions for more specific uses.

As a general rule, the effects should inspire character interaction rather than limit it.
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

Looks interesting and would be a useful addition to the game. In order to encourage temple worship, perhaps the results of achieving divine intervention might be boosted on an incremental basis for attendance at temple ceremonies.
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Royal Foot Guards Regiment
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Aide to a member of the City Ring
Colymar Tribe
Ivarenna

Post by Ivarenna »

Looks good to me!
Baroness Ivarenna Hainasdaughter of the Balmyr
Aide to Goldgotti the City Treasurer
Assistant Rune Lord of Orlanth
Hundred-thane, Third Battalion, Mularik's Company
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

A very neat addition, filling a gap for high-POW characters. I wonder, though, about the details of "avoid death at the front". Would the intervention be before the dierolls (so the character is effectively trying to replace normal death roll with a 1 in 6 chance of death) or after (in which case presumably every set of orders at the front will have to include a standard sentence?)
Fionn the dagger, soldier (leader Free Philosophers) and scholar (Loremaster).
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Malvolio wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:31 am A very neat addition, filling a gap for high-POW characters. I wonder, though, about the details of "avoid death at the front". Would the intervention be before the dierolls (so the character is effectively trying to replace normal death roll with a 1 in 6 chance of death) or after (in which case presumably every set of orders at the front will have to include a standard sentence?)
The latter, and yes it would require a "standard sentence".

In theory it would be possible to allow an attempt at divine intervention to avoid the death roll, but that would probably drain a character of Power pretty bad, whether or not they needed to avoid death or not.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I believe this makes it more like Glorantha and Runequest and as such, I support this innovation.
Baron Rufus Bronzer
Clansman of the proud Kheldon Tribe -This small but very wealthy urban clan is the "most noble" clan of Sartar - but the wealth seems to have passed me by.
Warlord Mularik's Company Orlanth Initiate
Chieftain's son.