Guide to newcomers

General in character posts
Afur

Guide to newcomers

Post by Afur »

So you are new in Boldhome? What should you do? This guide is to choices and each choice should be researched as well!

Borrow Money
You will likely not have enough Lunars to do what you want. You should work out your total spending for the month, and work out how much you wish to borrow. Do not risk running out mid-month!

**EDIT:** Note that loans are accumulated with the same due date, so loans can only ever be repaid from Loot, or other income, not from shylock loans taken yourself. It is a serious limitation one should consider when planning your future! Rule changed - thankfully - to multiple loans allowed

Conspicuous Consumption
Con-Con can be expensive, but it gets gets you status. Work out the Status you will gain, ideally, and ensure you have enough to improve your standing by pre-planning this,

Become an Inn Regular
You are not yet in a Regiment, Cult or such, so choose your Inn for the temporary benefits that might accrue - the Status!
Next month you may wish to change Inns, which is fine.

Join a Cult.
This is a weekly action, probably best done in week one, and you should join a Cult which fits in with what you want to do.

Edit:Being an Initiate requires you to do 2 weeks of Duty, so might be best to join in Week 4 if joining as an Initiate. God-talkers require 1 week of Duty, but it will take you a while to get there (3 months as Initiate until can apply).

Few cults allow you to Trade, but running a shop takes money and time. Your family will expect you to join the Cult that links to your Tribe, and doing so might mean you can be an Initiate - straight away - which also gains status. Check what you are good at, and what you wish to try and achieve - must be clear before you disappoint your family!

The Cult you choose may grant a bonus to your Regiment of Choice... or be determined by your Regiment in one case. It is an important choice, and those not making this choice in the first month lose status!

Find a Companion
This is a weekly action, and may not succeed. You should consider standing down to seniors in your Cult - and Regiment when you have joined one. If this fails you should spend a week to Visit Temple of Uleria, or lose status. If you succeed you can take them to your club, or do something else, maybe buy a house?

Join a Regiment
Unless you a have a plan that allows advancement without being in a Regiment , you will probably need to join one. This takes a week, and you can buy rank up to 100-Thane as well. Those with military skill should consider doing so, though you will need enough for all the ranks and 3 horses!
Alternately you might only start as a Warrior, or Subaltern, those these require 2, and 1 weeks of duties. If doing this, join in week 4, so you do not have to do this duty until next Month!

If your first regiment of choice rejects you, do you try another, lesser, Regiment?

Summary
So that is all 4 weeks, unless you were lucky enough to gain a Companion in which case you have one free week, for house buying or club.

This hopefully gets you settled into the Boldhome community, and allows you to grow from there.
Last edited by Afur on Wed May 31, 2023 9:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Afur Brekalisson
First son of a Thane of the Colymar tribe
Warlord of the Colymar Cavalry
Assistant Rune-Lord of Ernalda, the Earth Mother
Initiate, Cult of Orlanth
Charisma: 14
Finn

Re: Guide to newcomers

Post by Finn »

Afur, thank you 😊 I’m working on my orders (first timer) and your post helps. A lot.
Finn Harilson
Bastard of a Rich Eorl, Vantaros Tribe.
Zollmann

Post by Zollmann »

Nice !
Zollmann Sillaison
Fourth child of Sillai, Clan Chieftan
Ten Thane, Fellowship of Death
Charisma: 9
Afur

Post by Afur »

Planning Next Month
So what do you have to do? Military Duty if Warrior (2 weeks) or Subaltern (1 week), Religious duty (1 week per 3 months attend ceremony if a Lay Member, 2 weeks a month if an Initiate). Intimate Companionship (1 week unless exempt, or have lover (but do not forget to spend some time with them)).

If a Trader - time trading/attending stall?

Remember duty can be combined with something else, practice your weapon when doing Military Duty, lead or participate in a Ceremony if doing Religious - take your lover (if appropriate!).

You probably have now got several weeks of 'must do'. The other week(s) you can do something else - a party is a good thing. But equally you might need a week to pursue a love interest. The latter grants ongoing bonuses.

Work out your expenses, then look at pre-weekly actions.

Borrow/repay Lunars?

Buy a promotion?

Ask for time off duties? Usually you can ask for one of your duty weeks to be excused, in each case (Initiate/Regiment). This is announced, and you might put something in your diary about military duty, or what to do instead if excused?

Apply for a Position (Military, Civil or Cult) - if you qualify and they are vacant or appointed this month. Positions require announcement, which generally means you will accept. If a friend is appointing, remember to accept!

If you gain a Position with authority, think on whom you might appoint, or if you have any responsibilities like accepting joiners into Regiment, or granting time off (excusing) duties.
Afur Brekalisson
Zollmann

Post by Zollmann »

Nice helpful guide there
Zollmann Sillaison
Fourth child of Sillai, Clan Chieftan
Ten Thane, Fellowship of Death
Charisma: 9
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

Greetings noble Afur! My name is Quatlu Carasilson and I am a fellow tribesman from Colymar. This is my first month in Boldhome, so I have been trying to learn the ropes and keep myself from getting into any trouble. I appreciated reading the post you made for newcomers, which was quite useful. Let's see if I made a total hash out of things, or whether I did okay. I joined the cult of Orlanth as a lay member and tried to purchase a commission, first with Twin Spears Regiment and then a second attempt with the Colymar Cavalry. I hope I was successful as I am keen to go to the front to fight the Lunars, so if I fail in my attempts I shall petition you for a commission in your Hundred next month. I am anxious to see my results and to meeting you, perhaps in an inn.

May the gods grant you favor and sweet victory!

Quatlu Carasilson
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Royal Foot Guards Regiment
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Aide to a member of the City Ring
Colymar Tribe
Afur

Post by Afur »

Quatlu wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:20 am Greetings noble Afur! My name is Quatlu Carasilson and I am a fellow tribesman from Colymar. This is my first month in Boldhome, so I have been trying to learn the ropes and keep myself from getting into any trouble. I appreciated reading the post you made for newcomers, which was quite useful. Let's see if I made a total hash out of things, or whether I did okay. I joined the cult of Orlanth as a lay member and tried to purchase a commission, first with Twin Spears Regiment and then a second attempt with the Colymar Cavalry. I hope I was successful as I am keen to go to the front to fight the Lunars, so if I fail in my attempts I shall petition you for a commission in your Hundred next month. I am anxious to see my results and to meeting you, perhaps in an inn.

May the gods grant you favor and sweet victory!

Quatlu Carasilson
I am holding a party week 4, to drown my sorrows over not having been made a Thane. Not that I really expected to be rewarded that way so easily.

Next Month I plan to take my Hundred to the front!
Afur Brekalisson
Afur

Post by Afur »

Further Notes and Suggestions
Life in the Tribes is hard, yet without trials life would be meaningless.

Beware duels, for the gods are fickle. Even a lowly Malani warrior, who can barely lift a decent sized axe, can win against a far more competent and strong, Colymar Officer. Several have died in duels...

Indeed it seems the gods laugh at all attempts to improve the lot of Afur, except when I lead men in battle. So be it, War will be my life, for the rest of the Summer.

Some of you may feel they are also blessed for war. On that I cannot comment. We must each find our way. The forces of the Lunar Empire are dangerous, but the Warriors of the Tribes of Dragon Pass are - if well led - yet more dangerous!
Afur Brekalisson