Shields

An OOC part of the forum. IC posts will be deleted.
Ivarenna

Shields

Post by Ivarenna »

As well as expertise in Sword, Spear and Axe, how about expertise in Shield too?

Or is the expertise in Sword effectively expertise in the use of Sword with a Shield?
Baroness Ivarenna Hainasdaughter of the Balmyr
Aide to Goldgotti the City Treasurer
Assistant Rune Lord of Orlanth
Hundred-thane, Third Battalion, Mularik's Company
Erik

Re: Shields

Post by Erik »

The original En Garde is set in Paris in the 17th Century, a period when shields were no longer really used, and certainly not during duels. We have moved it to Glorantha and I agree, shields would seem to fit with the setting. However, how could we introduce them without making too much work for the GM?
One possibility is giving a minus to the duelling ability for someone who's weapon skill was lower than the opponent's shield skill (and a bonus if higher). But would it add enough to the game?
Ivarenna

Post by Ivarenna »

Erik wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:49 pm The original En Garde is set in Paris in the 17th Century, a period when shields were no longer really used, and certainly not during duels. We have moved it to Glorantha and I agree, shields would seem to fit with the setting. However, how could we introduce them without making too much work for the GM?
One possibility is giving a minus to the duelling ability for someone who's weapon skill was lower than the opponent's shield skill (and a bonus if higher). But would it add enough to the game?
It sort of fits in with the combat system which has an attacker and a defender. Maybe when you're defending you use your shield expertise rather than your main weapon. Thematically, as you point out, it makes sense. I think the main reason for doing it would be flavour. Not sure how much work it would be.
Baroness Ivarenna Hainasdaughter of the Balmyr
Aide to Goldgotti the City Treasurer
Assistant Rune Lord of Orlanth
Hundred-thane, Third Battalion, Mularik's Company
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Sounds like a lot of work for only a small gain in flavour. Use of shields can already be assumed to be a factor in determining campaign battle outcomes. Likewise, an appropriate shield can be assumed to be used in duels (and armour too) - unless there is a societal convention against forms of protection. The choice the duellist would have to make would be what weapon they took.

If you want to get technical, spear is a proper weapon. Swords are sidearms, more convenient but decidedly inferior to a spear in a battle (think of a Webley 0.455 revolver and a Lee Enfield SMLE rifle) . Of course, if you are Clint Eastwood/Man with No Name in "a fistful of dollars", then a pistol can beat a rifle! :D .
Baron Rufus Bronzer
Clansman of the proud Kheldon Tribe -This small but very wealthy urban clan is the "most noble" clan of Sartar - but the wealth seems to have passed me by.
Warlord Mularik's Company Orlanth Initiate
Chieftain's son.
grumbold99

Post by grumbold99 »

I can see it being interesting to have different approaches to training up skills if we had a shield stat and a weapon stat in play for duels. That said, duelling has been very uncommon so far. It currently feels like a lot of work defining a balanced and fun system for little gain.
Grumbold Rahlefson of the Locaem

Scrawny tow-headed beanpole of a lad; usually complaining about the cold, the damp, the pollen or the heat.
Proprietor of Silks and Sapphires. Conspicuously buy your apparel here!
Lt Col of the Royal Foot Guard.