Toadying to ceremomy leaders limited to once per month?

An OOC part of the forum. IC posts will be deleted.
Torben

Re: Toadying to ceremomy leaders limited to once per month?

Post by Torben »

grumbold99 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:55 am Random gain is a bit of a nightmare. If you're going to conspicuously consume and do other expensive or risky methods of earning CPs to get promoted, you need to be pretty confident you will hit the required total when you do. If going to a service is going to earn 0-7 CPs, you just can't plan anything around it.
Totally agree with you, it would prove a total gamble and a total risk to any planned turn seeking a Cha rise. I started off at Cha 2 (!) and really have only been able to make it to Cha 9 thanks to the Cult ceremonies and knowing in advance that I would get a set amount of CP's, I was able to plan each coming turn upon that, as well as juggling loans and repayments. Changing the rules to this revised formula would have made it far too risky and anyone seeking to adopt the route to Cha increase, as I did, would find it likely impossible.
Torben Dungshuvler
An unfortunate pawn in the hands of the Gods
💩
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

Yes. The intent of the rule change is to make ceremonies less attractive.
grumbold99

Post by grumbold99 »

Less attractive is fine, but unpredictable is horrible. Almost everyone is at a cult rank where attending at least one ceremony is mandatory.

The general advice has been "if you can get a CHA rise, stay in Boldhome. If you cannot, consider going to the front to avoid incurring costs." Having a random gain makes it impossible to calculate.

If you rolled the level of attending priest in advance then we can make plans, but that's a lot more admin for you rolling to see which priest is in attendance in every cult, each week of the month and then publishing the order of service at the start of the month.

If we are keeping it simple and have decided to sharply reduce the CPs generated through toadying, setting a limit of once a month already achieves that.
Grumbold Rahlefson of the Locaem

Scrawny tow-headed beanpole of a lad; usually complaining about the cold, the damp, the pollen or the heat.
Proprietor of Silks and Sapphires. Conspicuously buy your apparel here!
Lt Col of the Royal Foot Guard.
Puckohue
GM

Post by Puckohue »

grumbold99 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:55 pm If we are keeping it simple and have decided to sharply reduce the CPs generated through toadying, setting a limit of once a month already achieves that.
Yes, that's a good argument. I'll sleep on it. :)
Erik

Post by Erik »

Broar wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 am
grumbold99 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:55 am Random gain is a bit of a nightmare. If you're going to conspicuously consume and do other expensive or risky methods of earning CPs to get promoted, you need to be pretty confident you will hit the required total when you do. If going to a service is going to earn 0-7 CPs, you just can't plan anything around it.
Totally agree with you, it would prove a total gamble and a total risk to any planned turn seeking a Cha rise. I started off at Cha 2 (!) and really have only been able to make it to Cha 9 thanks to the Cult ceremonies and knowing in advance that I would get a set amount of CP's, I was able to plan each coming turn upon that, as well as juggling loans and repayments. Changing the rules to this revised formula would have made it far too risky and anyone seeking to adopt the route to Cha increase, as I did, would find it likely impossible.
I am inclined to agree, you should be able to calculate how many CP's you will get for at least 1 ceremony per month, otherwise it will be too much of a gamble.
Torben

Post by Torben »

Erik wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:55 pm
Broar wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:27 am
I am inclined to agree, you should be able to calculate how many CP's you will get for at least 1 ceremony per month, otherwise it will be too much of a gamble.
Hurrah, see I knew we were mates really !
Torben Dungshuvler
💩
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Not sure what people are objecting to really. If you want predictable CP gain, there are other ways like parties and carousing; making compulsory attendance on an NPC a less certain success seems a good way to encourage creativity.
Fionn the dagger, soldier (leader Free Philosophers) and scholar (Loremaster).
Torben

Post by Torben »

Rhosyn wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:20 pm Not sure what people are objecting to really. If you want predictable CP gain, there are other ways like parties and carousing; making compulsory attendance on an NPC a less certain success seems a good way to encourage creativity.
How is a party a predictable CP gain? You can never be sure who, or indeed anyone, is turning up!
Torben Dungshuvler
💩