Early Dark Season at the Pea Pod

General in character posts
Quatlu

Early Dark Season at the Pea Pod

Post by Quatlu »

As another day began to wind down in Boldhome, Quatlu again made his way from the Great Temple of Orlanth through the streets of Boldhome to the Pea Pod, a small, nearby restaurant that he had come to enjoy regularly. This was often his first stop after services to savor the convivial atmosphere and the delicious smells, and especially Jarl Anderson's wonderful split pea soup. He had found a new restaurant in the market which he planned to patronize, a market stand called Yummy Hot Pizza. Johannes, the proprietor, needed to get a regular shop, though, as winter time in Boldhome was not conducive to dining outside. As he walked inside the door, he saw good old Jarl, the proprietor, sweeping the floor and the man immediately greeted him with a smile. "Good day to you, Master Quatlu, and welcome again." He quickly finished his sweeping while Quatlu took a seat at a his usual four top near the fireplace. "It's bit brisk outside today", Jarl said to him as he took a seat. "Would you care for a mulled wine or your usual ale?" Quatlu considered the issue for a brief moment and replied, "An excellent idea, Jarl. I'll have a mulled wine, heavy on the cinnamon if you please." Jarl soon arrived with a steamy, fragrant mug of hot mulled wine and set it on the table. "What is your pleasure this evening, Master Quatlu? Mama has some of her fresh baked rolls left she saved just for you, and she even made a nice Rum Duff today in keeping with Dark Season." Quatlu looked up at Jarl and said, "I'll have a large bowl of your split pea soup with those hot rolls and butter, if you please". He added quickly, "and I believe I'll try that Rum Duff after my meal."

Quatlu took a sip of the hot mulled wine and sat back to relax and enjoy the flavors in the mug. It had been some time since he'd had company with his meals, as his new friends had gone off to the Front for fortune and glory. Now, he'd heard the surviving troops had returned to Boldhome, many with tales of glory to share and with booty to celebrate their victories. He was looking forward to seeing Julian, Jarrek and Rewolf again, and hoped that his prayers to Orlanth were answered. He turned around and took the iron from the tool rack by the fireplace to brighten the fire a bit.
Last edited by Quatlu on Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Royal Foot Guards Regiment
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Aide to a member of the City Ring
Colymar Tribe
Harold

Re: Early Dark Season at the Pea Pod

Post by Harold »

A thin drizzle dripped from slate grey sky, the kind of drizzle that crept in between the layers of clothing & chilled to the bone. Damp darkness was the travellers' only companion for the evening, Rats of various species went about their nocturnal activities, heard but not seen.
Thieves thieved, assassins assassinated & Hussies hustled, or at least negotiated a good price.
Unmolested, the traveller perambulated towards his destination. Seeing a major thoroughfare ahead, He stopped at the junction to get his bearings, Remembering the times his Father had brought his Siblings & himself into the city. Having orientated himself he set off towards his destination. A few minutes later the Sign for the establishment he sought hove into view.
Trying to wring some of the water from his cloak prior to entry, he entered the restaurant. Looking around the room, he wondered if the man he sought was present.
When the proprietor approached, the visitor asked, if he knew of a Gentleman called Mister Quatlu?
He was shown to a table,
“Master Quatlu, you have company.” Said the proprietor
The visitor help out his hand
“Good Sir, I am honoured to finally make your acquaintance at last, may I introduce myself, I am Harold Rastison, I have heard much about you noble Sir.”
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

Quatlu sat relaxed at his table enjoying the warmth of the fire when he saw a stranger enter the Pea Pod. There was nothing unusual about him, but the Initiate of Orlanth felt a sudden spiritual quickening inside that he had only previously associated with the worship of Orlanth. Was this man a Sword Brother, or was there something else about him that had drawn the god's attention. The stranger spoke with Jarl, the proprietor, and the two men walked over to the table together. “Master Quatlu, you have company”, Jarl said a little nervously, but the stranger extended his hand in greeting.

Quatlu stood and accepted the offered hand, which had a strong grip. The young man then spoke, saying, “Good Sir, I am honoured to finally make your acquaintance at last, may I introduce myself, I am Harold Rastison, I have heard much about you noble Sir.” The Initiate smiled and replied, "I'm honored to make your acquaintance, Harold Rastison. I am Quatlu Carasilson, whom you seek. But the night is damp and chilly, so may I invite you to please sit and warm your bones by the fire." He set himself down again, then motioned to Jarl, and when the proprietor arrived tableside, Quatlu asked Harold, "What would you have to drink, sir? Something hot like mulled wine", and he indicated his own mug, "or something else to wet your whistle?"
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Colymar Tribe
Harold

Post by Harold »

Harold had some difficulty undoing the toggle on his woollen cloak, his fingers numbed by the cold, his fingers tingling as the warmth of the room, brought the blood back to the extremities.
“A little Warmed Rum for now if you would be so kind Sir.” Harold replied
He looked across the table at Master Carasilson. It seemed he was waiting for an explanation as to why Harold was now sat before him. Goodman Jarl, brought a small tankard of Rum to the table, “Thank you.” Harold said taking the precious beverage, he looked at it’s contents as he gathered his thoughts, the steam from the liquid, clearing his sinuses as he inhaled lifting the tankard “ To your very good health Sir ,”He took a small sip, being careful not to burn his mouth.
“I, I have, I have been very ill of late.” he stuttered, “ My family had called the priests, they thought I was going to pass.” he continued. But the healer a man called Kalif, he wouldn’t give up on me he nursed me through it. He nursed me back to a point where I was fit enough to stand again on my own two feet. He told me many stories of the histories of the lands here & here a bouts. ”He stopped his eyes closed as he remembered ”He told me of the battles & sacrifices that were made are being made & will have to be made.” Harold took another sip of his drink “He told me of you, & where I could find you. Apparently he knows your family & they had told him you were here.” he paused.
“I would be greatly honoured & privileged, if I could ask for your advice , as I try to find my way around, the city. I hope to serve the king against the Lunar Empire, but I need to prepare myself for the task.”
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

As the young man before him divested himself of his damp cloak and settled into a chair, Quatlu watched him accept the small tankard of hot rum from Jarl. He watched as Harold looked at the tankard's contents and seemed to gather his thoughts, then the young man inhaled the aromatic steam rising from the liquid. Harold lifted the tankard and offered Quatlu a toast, “ To your very good health Sir”. The Initiate watched as Harold took a small sip and savored the rum, no doubt enjoying the warmth that spread through his body to counter the damp cold of the evening.

His tale of personal illness was a sad one, and the healer Kalif reminded Quatlu of the kindness shown every day by his mistress Harmeleenrios, herself a follower of Chalana Arroy. "You were fortunate indeed to have secured the services of a healer like Kalif, and him a soothsayer as well, to teach you of the world while also treating the illness of your body", the Initiate said quietly. When Harold spoke of the words of the healer, Quatlu was startled that someone outside his own family would speak of him, and especially that the young man should seek Quatlu out in Boldhome. "I must admit to being amazed that my family would have spoken openly of me, unless it was my father Carasil", he said to Harold. "He always loved my mother and me, which cost him dearly with his wife and those family members and servants who were held under her sway." Quatlu thought back to his father and the clandestine love shown to him and his mother. Then his thoughts return to the present.

"It sounds to me that there is a divine destiny for you in Boldhome, young man, which shows itself two fold. First, the healer Kalif prophesied of battles fought and sacrifices made, yet more must someday be made in future", Quatlu said as he considered the lad's statement. "That you were sent to find me specifically in Boldhome confirms this theory, as I felt a divine quickening when you came into the Pea Pod this evening. The Light Bringers have set their hand to guide you, Harold, and marked you for future greatness of some kind." He looked at Harold with a piercing gaze, then closed his eyes and uttered a quick prayer to Orlanth. He opened his eyes and shrugged, dropping his eyes to his tankard to take a long sip.

"Young man", he said to Harold, "it is I who would be honored and privileged to help you find your path to destiny. Far be it for me to ignore the will of the gods and deny a future Sword Brother." At that moment Quatlu's stomach growled and he looked down at his belly to chuckle. "Well, the gods may have to wait a bit for the advent of their new hero into the temple of Orlanth until we get some hot food in us." Quatlu waved to Jarl and called out, "A generous turine of split pea soup for two, if you please, with a basket of mama's rolls, fresh butter, and a nice serving of that Rum Duff to finish it off". He turned to Harold and asked him, "How does that sound, my young friend?"
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Colymar Tribe
Harold

Post by Harold »

The offer of a warm meal on such a damp & cold evening was music to the young man's ears.”It would certainly be a pleasure to try some of the soup, it sounds like one of those meals that satisfies the body & soothes the soul at the same time.” He replied with a smile.
“I admit though, I have never tried Rum Duff, so it appears my learning experience is already beginning.”
Harold sat back in his chair, happy that he had found Quatlu. He sent a silent prayer of thanks to Orlanth.
Harold cleared his throat, “ Ummm, I wonder, if I may accompany you to the Temple the next time you visit, I wish to join the congregation here if I can?”
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

Quatlu smiled at Harold as he spoke of the Rum Duff. "I think, based on your choice of hot rum as a beverage, that you'll definitely enjoy the Rum Duff", he added then took a sip of his mulled wine. "As for your wish to join the cult of Orlanth, let me assure you that we'll get that taken care of first thing tomorrow in the first week of Late Dark season. We have a new High Priest taking control in the Great Temple of Boldhome, and it'll be good to have you start out under him."

After a few moments of eating soup and hot rolls, discussing Harold's abilities and current assets, Quatlu considered the options open to Harold. He finally spoke of military matters. "I've been thinking", he said to his new friend, "that if possible, you should consider a commission in one of the regiments that favor Orlanth. My first thought was to place you in a regiment which has my friend Jarrek serving as a Ten Thane, even though they are not dedicated to Orlanth. You could try to enlist and then buy a Subaltern's commission with Goldgotti's Regiment without needing to buy a horse."

"On the other hand" Guatlu continued, "if the notion of being a cavalryman suits you better, you could try to enlist in an Orlanth unit called the Eleven Lights. It's a little harder to get in, but if successful you could buy a Subaltern's commission with them and could also afford a horse, while still staying within your budget. They use both Power and Battle skills, which would benefit you the most, and you could either save up or get a loan to buy a Ten Thane's commission with them. You definitely want to buy a commission which gets you the best situation possible." He pondered the matter over a swig of mulled wine and then added, "I know you can conditionally try and enlist with two regiments in a week's time, which is what I originally had to do, so that if the first regiment turns you down, in this case the Eleven Lights, you can try to enlist in your second choice without incurring any penalties. Just make sure you belong to the cult first so that there are no penalties with your attempts to enlist."
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Colymar Tribe