First month

An OOC part of the forum. IC posts will be deleted.
Fionn

First month

Post by Fionn »

This is less of a query about what the rules are than a discussion (I hope) about what they should be.

Noob Noobson wishes to begin a military career, and sees that anyone wishing to join a regiment has to be part of a Warrior Cult. Fortunately his tribe has affiliations to such a cult, so his first week's order is to become initiated in the Cult. His second week's order is to actually join a regiment, (let's say as a Subaltern), and he succeeds. His third week- oh. Of the remaining two weeks, he has to spend two on cult duties and one on regimental duties :cry:

Yes, you can mitigate it (say by joining the Cult in the fourth week) but there is no way at present to do anything but get the necessary IC, and the real problem is for new players who don't necessarily know all the workrounds.

So; do you think the week you join a regiment/cult should count as duty? Should you not have duties the month you join? Or are the current rules fine (in which case there probably should be a fuller explanation)?
Fionn the dagger, soldier (leader Free Philosophers) and scholar (Loremaster).
Puckohue
GM

Re: First month

Post by Puckohue »

Rhosyn wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:40 pm Of the remaining two weeks, he has to spend two on cult duties and one on regimental duties :cry:
Yes, you can mitigate it (say by joining the Cult in the fourth week) but there is no way at present to do anything but get the necessary IC, and the real problem is for new players who don't necessarily know all the workrounds.
You don't have to be initiated in a warrior cult, it's enough to be a lay member.

Also: "If a character is not a member of a Warrior Cult when required to, they have one turn to join one, or they will be expelled from the regiment." ("Joining a regiment"-part of rules)

So I don't think it's that tough on a new character. And if initiation is important, maybe it's better to wait for the second week with the regiment?

I'm sure a new player would appreciate all the tips and tricks they could get. If I ever get the time I'll write something, but I don't have that much time atm unfortunately.