Hidden rules, or not

An OOC part of the forum. IC posts will be deleted.

Should all rules in use be in the rules document?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:01 pm

Yes
23%
No
77%
I don't know
No votes
I don't want to vote on this
No votes

Total votes: 13

Puckohue
GM

Hidden rules, or not

Post by Puckohue »

There are a few rules I've been using that aren't in the published rules. One such thing is that uncourted lovers' CHA will drop with time.

But there are other rules, or potential rules, that I've used or will use, that are not in the published document. Potential such rules concern cult secrets or secret societies or organisations not commonly known. I defend "hiding" the "lovers' CHA" rule by likening it to other characters' rising and falling CHA.

Traditionally all rules in En Garde! games are published for all to read, and maybe that's the way to go. It would mean an even longer rules document which might scare people away. But it would also mean all players know all options available to all other players.

My reasoning for not publishing all the rules is that it becomes more roleplaying-like and less boardgame-like, and that it can be fun to discover something you didn't know about. But of course, if one character "discovers" a rule, it means that player's next characters also know about the rule.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
Quatlu

Re: Hidden rules, or not

Post by Quatlu »

I personally don't mind hidden rules, as in this society the characters are not omniscient. Cults have secrets, as do military organizations and others. As players, we do not need perfect knowledge to play. Otherwise, as our GM says, it becomes more of a board game where everything is known to one and all and people game the system. My vote is to continue as is and let's enjoy some surprises.
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Royal Foot Guards Regiment
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Aide to a member of the City Ring
Colymar Tribe
Ondurga

Post by Ondurga »

Quatlu wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:19 pm I personally don't mind hidden rules... My vote is to continue as is and let's enjoy some surprises.
Seconded!
Ondurga Yorisdaughter of the Bachad
grumbold99

Post by grumbold99 »

I'm all for hidden rules if it's things like Cult secrets.

I would have thought that rules around lovers dropping in Cha or being removed from the list and being replaced should be open.
Grumbold Rahlefson of the Locaem

Scrawny tow-headed beanpole of a lad; usually complaining about the cold, the damp, the pollen or the heat.
Proprietor of Silks and Sapphires. Conspicuously buy your apparel here!
Lt Col of the Royal Foot Guard.
Lavi

Post by Lavi »

I'm in agreement with Grumbold, it depends on the rule.

And surely Lovers CHA dropping needs to be a public rule.
Lavi Sharpspear of the Locaem tribe.
Looking for options.
Lay member of Lhankor Mhy.
Charisma 4.
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

You could compare it to obtaining a battle result. For both fairness and playability, you need to know whether your units 'victory' was a 1 or a 2 result. You do not need to know whether the commander is a genius or a nincompoop who guessed the right strategy this time, so (unlike some En Garde games) Battle ability is hidden, and the reports only give numbers to your own result. Similarly, it would be unfair trying to court a lover without knowing the chances, so Cha is public each turn; but your character would only know in general terms that 'she is getting a bit shopworn' so publishing exactly when Cha will go down is neither necessary nor realistic.
How this affects future rules: obviously cults, for example, should have secrets that are only made known to characters who reach high rank (though I don't know how you are supposed to forget the secret when that character dies :? ) but rules that affect characters' decisions can also be hidden for playability, so long as they are not retrospective; reducing the Cha of uncourted lovers rather than replacing them with new ones doesn't need to be public, but a decision that every Sacred Time all lovers lose 1 Cha due to old age would be unfair if not properly announced (and possibly even then, depending on how much effort had gone into courting).
Fionn the dagger, soldier (leader Free Philosophers) and scholar (Loremaster).
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Agree with the general tenor of the previous posts. Happy for there to be secret rules - especially around secret stuff! Maybe stuff that we would "know" should be disclosed. Up to Puckohue to decide what fits either category. :)
Baron Rufus Bronzer
Clansman of the proud Kheldon Tribe -This small but very wealthy urban clan is the "most noble" clan of Sartar - but the wealth seems to have passed me by.
Warlord Mularik's Company Orlanth Initiate
Chieftain's son.
Harold

Post by Harold »

In the "Real world" We don't know all the secrets.

In the game itself if all the rules are known there is the danger of players play the rule book rather than the game. Having unknown factors adds to the Roleplaying element of the game. Keeping an edge of uncertainty to all the best laid plans we have