Conversations at the Pea Pod

General in character posts
Julian

Re: Conversations at the Pea Pod

Post by Julian »

Julian bids his senior Quatlu thanks briefly before taking a swift pull at his beer but almost spat it out with an unintentional guffaw at the punch line to the milking story! However he is from hardy stock and again toasting his host from across the table he thinks, “things have improved!” When invited he sits courteously at the table and commands his stomach not to growl lest it upsets the mood of the place!

The newcomer is interested to discover that being at the front is not an immediate death sentence ….. but hope to avid going there just yet. There is so much to learn about surviving here. Perhaps he’ll find good advice and information. And he’s still happy to wash up for his supper.

He salutes Jarrek and tries to keep out of his way while keeping an eye on Rewolf who has already amused him.

When the conversation falters he respectfully asks Quatlu how he came to Boldhome and how he achieved his current position?
Julian Sartarvutson
A Ten Thane in the
Royal Foot Guards Regiment
Colymar Tribe
Orlanth by Choice
Ondurga

Post by Ondurga »

Jarrek gestures broadly at Rewolf and calls out: "Come and join us, fellow! If you're hungry."

He then shifts across to a seat closer to the wall as Julian approaches. "Here, come, sit!" he suggests. "The food here is filling and warming, and Quatlu and I will stand the cost of a meal for you."
Ondurga Yorisdaughter of the Bachad
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

Quatlu is pleased that the new lay member Julian and Yelmalio devotee Rewolf have joined the table. Once they have all settled at the table, he smiles and nods as Jarrek says that he and Quatlu will cover the costs of the meal for these new arrivals. "Well said, Jarrek", he adds and signals for Jarl to attend them. "I trust there are no objections to the meal, my friends", he says and looks from man to man. "Good! Then Jarl lets have your your biggest turine of pea soup, four bowls and four soup spoons, as well as two large baskets of mama's fresh baked rolls and a pint of fresh butter." He paused for a moment and then added, "and four large tankards of ale for good measure." Jarl grinned and made haste back to mama in the kitchen. "You lads are in for a real treat", he added sagely. "The food here is hot, tasty, filling and best of all, it's kind to your purse."

When the tankards were refreshed, Quatlu raised his ale and offered a toast. "To fellow warriors and new friends."

The he turned to Julian and said, "Nay sir, before I tell of my path to Boldhome, let's hear from you and Rewolf."
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Aide to a member of the City Ring
Colymar Tribe
Harold

Post by Harold »

Rewolf, Is happy to acknowledge the greeting, he has been feeling a little lost since his nose led him him to Boldhome. He was a bit lost in the big city. He was more than happy to join the Esteemed company at the table.

Gentlemen, I am honoured to meet you on this glorious day , May I wish a day full of joy & happiness, He did feel a little awkward amongst such obviously rich & cultured Company.
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

"So Rewolf, you simply followed the smells of the big city to Boldhome, and here to find work and a future for yourself. I suspect that this is the same basic story at heart for all of us here at the table", Quatlu said thoughtfully. "Yet in spite of the challenges you face, you chose the honorable path as a warrior and to fight the Lunars, where others have chosen less savory paths to support themselves." He picked up his tankard and said, "I offer a toast to Rewolf and his first steps on the path to honor and glory."
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Colymar Tribe
Torben

Post by Torben »

Peering in through the windows of the Pea Pod, Broar huffed in frustration at the sight he beheld.

"Damn, those three seem a bit too cosy for my liking! I just don't get it, I've invited all of them, at some stage or another, to hook up with me for a few drinks and some decent grub yet.....ignored...or some lame excuse. Why is it no-one around this place seems to like being mates with a Chalana Arroy devotee or a follower of wise sage Lord Lankhor Mhy?

It's got to be something to do with those damn Colymars, I bet they've got their dirty, stinky fingers in this somehow. Probably telling people a load of lies about me and stirring up rumours, pah, and I'll wager that wretched Erik fellow is the one behind it all, I was almost going to say the brains of the outfit then I remembered it's Evil Erik I'm thinking about!! Time to begin the hatching of my cunning Plan A....been having a little mull around about potential scenarios....running a few through the old mind, as you do, then....yes...hmmmh...worth a go....better go and start putting it into operation".

I hope when it comes off these three will become my pals then, surely they would...?
Torben Dungshuvler
An unfortunate pawn in the hands of the Gods
💩
Harold

Post by Harold »

Rewolf notices a movement at the window, the persons features, slightly distorted by the poorly made glass pane, as he made out the features of Broar, he smiled & made his way outside, he had been hoping to make the acquaintance of the Esteemed Gentleman in question.
Rewolf had come to the big smoke from the countryside in the hope, of finding the streets pathed with Gold, he had discovered that the streets were indeed in places pathed, but there was a definite lack of Gold.
Disappointed to have missed a chance to meet the Noble Broar, he returned to the table with Quatlu & Julian. He raised his Flagon of Ale & Offered a Toast to them " Good health Gentlemen;"
Rewolf settled down at the table with his back to the wall, keeping an eye on the door & observing the Clientele of the Establishment, Shifting the stalk of Straw clasped between his lips from left to right." Me story kind Zur, taint much terr telly to be 'onest, I wer born on the wrong zide uv the zheets zee, all I got iz me Spear & a strong Arm. Iz just un' Illiterate son ov a mother. Twer a long way ter get 'ear, twern't easy. But theres no future an the Farm so tiz the Big Smoke un I spect un Early Grave ter go wee it!"
Julian

Post by Julian »

Julian begs the pardon of his table mates and begins eating; slowly at first but with increasing vigour, soup, mammas bread and beer disappear in a jiffy! When he finishes he lets out a belch of such epic proportions his fellows duck thinking the sky is falling in! Julian smiles the smile of a man who is full for the first time in days, and Rewolf will probably accept it can’t just be wind!

Julian offers apologies to Quatlu, his senior in the Temple and the architect of this dinner, “Forgive me Sir, for I was very hungry! You asked me where I was from….and as a sad guitar plays he says in time which the music, “Well folks, I come from the country of the west and my life has been one of toil and hardship. I am of low birth form a poor family. I am the oldest and last surviving child of my parents: My father did whatever he could to make a living, mother, when she was not having children (all of whom died in tragic circumstances) tried to make ends meet. We kept being moved on; turned out of our hovels, cow sheds (these were our warmest abodes and allowed me to taste fresh milk) or we had our frayed tarpaulin tents repossessed. When my mother died of overwork and a poor diet my pa went to bad. He started rustling livestock from farms and I was shocked, shocked I tell you to see just show much other folks owned. Pa was quickly caught and lynched. I watched as a group of men hung him from the gallows pole and spat on him for being an uppity pauper trying to muscle in on their rustling ring!

When they left I cut him down and as he died in my arms he said, “Son, don’t be a hero - make your way to Boldhome. Go and make a new life and be better than me or ma. Just don’t forget where you came from and come back someday and take revenge on all the stinking rustlers you can find. Take my emergency 11 gold secreted in my cod piece and Go!” His head flopped back and I had to recover his one and only gift to me.

It was ever so embarrassing - while pa’d been drawing his terminal breath a small crowd had gathered and saw me fiddling in the dead mans pants! I will always remember a child asking his mother, “Why is that young man fiddling in that other mans pants? Will he go to hell?”

Julian wiped a tear from his eye with the sleeve of his shirt.

I have worked my way here for over half a year. I have laboured, fought, run and studied just to arrive in Boldhome! I have the bravery of a man with nothing to lose. I have the cunning of a man who has beaten adversity one bad dice roll at a time and I have out-lasted all my siblings.

I am fit and strong and can fight! I want to join a regiment, I want to belong and I want to repay the kindnesses of you folk who have listened to my country and western tale.

Julian is indeed willing to take on any job that will pay him enough to get though the next month and beyond. He is happy to work as a kitchen porter at the pea pod, as a body guard or in any other way that will prevent him going to the Front before he’s seen the sights round here…….
Julian Sartarvutson
A Ten Thane in the
Colymar Tribe
Orlanth by Choice
Ondurga

Post by Ondurga »

Jarrek nods gravely at Julian's tale. "Boldhome is full of folk who have been driven from their homes by fear or greed or desperation or need. I am one such although my tale is perhaps a little less redolent and packed full of pathos than yours. What matters here is not how you came here, or who you are when you arrive, but who you chose to be now you're here."

Then he grins. "Is your hunger met, or do we need to ask for another bowl of soup?"
Ondurga Yorisdaughter of the Bachad
Quatlu

Post by Quatlu »

Quatlu nodded in agreement with Jarrek's statement and than added, "By all means have some more soup and rolls if you're still not full." He motioned to Jarl to bring another round of soup for these new arrivals. "Both of you have taken the honorable first step in your time in Boldhome by joining Warrior Cults. It may be that the gods smile upon you for your decisions, and if taking a turn at the Front seems your best option for honor and loot, then you should consider it. The money lenders here are vultures and care for nothing more than their interest on loans, and one does not default on them lightly."
Quatlu Carasilson
Warlord
Wind Lord of Orlanth
Colymar Tribe